home

Thursday 9 November 2017

DaVinci

So a few months ago I saw a challenge at 7 Dots Studio to incorporate your favorite artist and I saw one layout on DaVinci- well that inspired a whole set of chippies and a couple stencils that then developed into an album.  All the chipboard pieces and stencils are created using DaVinci Sketches as inspiration.  Here is one page.
I started with pattern paper as my background Prima Vintage Emporium, glued down some skeleton leaves with clear gesso.  Next cut up and shredded some burlap, this I adhered also with clear gesso.  On top of burlap is ripped up cardboard, this is glued on.  I used Flight stencil with light modeling paste for latin print.


I highlighted the skeleton leaves with vintage gold wax lightly rubbed on top with fingertip.  Love how the latin print turned out, so delicate.


Flight Stencil available at BoozyBear Etsy store
10" x 12"


On random spots through burlap and cardstock collage I glued on mini stones, and regular stones adhere with gel medium.


I painted the entire collage with brown rust paste, I like to feather out edges of rust paste with a baby wipe.  It removes the harsh edges and pulls color into paper around collage.This technique also makes latin print more visible since color settles into ridges around text.
Once brown is dry i added some red rust paste, I add less of red then brown, then less of yellow.


Paint collage with yellow rust paste, then add highlights with vintage gold wax.  Rub wax on with fingertip it will color the high points.  I colored cheesecloth with primary elements- burnt umber, rip and shred then painted with sculpture medium.  Next shape onto collage, allow to dry completely it will hold its form.


Paint blood movement chipboard.  Bones are painted white, inners are red and blood like blood vessels.  Once dry, light sand then ink with espresso ink.  The ink with settle into sanded portion but wipe off paint, looks grungy.


Finally glue down blood movement chipboard, behind are butterfly wings printed on transparent paper and contour cut around.

Lots and lots of layers, here is skeleton leaves, latin print, burlap, and mini stones.


View thru wings, love these another layer and texture but not solid so all is still visible.  The sanding and inking helps chipboard not look flat.


The cheesecloth casts shadow, more dimension love me some dimension.


The mini stones look fantastic with some wax rubbed on top.


Working on some more pages and a front cover, the goal is to have a book with individual sketchbooks inside I think that suits a DaVinci theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment